Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Allegory of the Cave

So while in undergrad I learned about Plato's "Allegory of the Cave."  In a nutshell, prisoners are chained, immobilized, in a cave.  Their only view is the back wall of the cave.  They cannot move their arms, legs or head.  Behind them is a large fire that casts shadows onto the back wall of the cave, of passing people, animals and things.  The prisoners can hear sounds, but do not know what these sounds mean, or where they are coming from.

The story goes that the prisoners are really us as unenlightened beings (it's philosophy, after all).  We interpret what we see - the shadows - as reality, not as reflections of "real" things.  The sounds we hear are our interpretation of the "real" sound.  We are held captive in this cave of our own reality, experiencing life based on our limited knowledge of what is real, and what is "real".

Yeah, I didn't do so well in that philosophy class - but some of the concepts stuck with me.

So lately, I feel like the prisoner in the cave.  I see these objects in front of me and they have become my reality.  Unlike the prisoner, though, I realize that the fire behind me - the cancer in my left breast - is casting shadows in my view, so that right now I know I do not see the true reality of my situation.  I only believe what is in front of my eyes, but I have a suspicion there is something else I cannot see that will alter my current reality.

I hear sounds - words from my doctor - but I don't know what they are, what they mean, or even if they're really true.  We met with the doctor two days ago and I have forgotten the actual words he used.  I find that what's left is my interpretation of what he said.  And is what he said "true" - or does he not want me to worry?  Does he know more than he's telling me?  

So my reality is, well, just my reality.

The end of the allegory goes like this: 

One prisoner is freed from his chains.  Instead of running out of the cave he must literally be dragged up and out, fighting the whole way.  He sees the people and animal representations that have been casting shadows on the wall of the cave, but does not believe them to be “real” – he still believes the shadowy representations are real, because that’s been his experience his whole life.  Once out of the cave and in the presence of the sun he realizes what he has seen.  As he is illuminated by the sun he realizes that what cannot be seen cannot exist; the sun illuminates and brings to life the visual world, and so without the sun to bring light, one cannot “see” the real world.  

Tomorrow, I move towards having my chains surgically removed, but the thought of moving up and out of the cave into true reality is starting to scare me a little. It's possible I'll wake up with questions still unanswered, and tests still to be performed.  There is safety in being right where I am at this moment, because I don't know what I don't know.  

But I know I cannot live in denial forever, and tomorrow is a good first step towards crafting a reality that is based on knowledge, not internet research and (frankly) happy fantasy.  I've always believed that knowledge is power - if I know what's going on, I can start to shape and form my "reality".  Of course, if you're Plato, there are degrees of knowledge...and I'm just not up to a discussion of the Divided Line...

2 comments:

  1. Tomorrow we'll have even more knowledge about this cancer that has invaded my beloved's body and our lives. Then we go after it as viciously as can be done, knowing that there are so many people in our corner whose encouragement and caring has made, and will make, all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both so much and keep you close in my heart.

    ReplyDelete