Friday, December 2, 2011

Welcome to Breastlandia!

No visa or passport necessary, but you will be required to learn a new language!

I’ve worked for the state so I come from The Land of Misfit Acronyms; I’m used to four-letter words that stand for 32 other letters.  I can speak a complete sentence of completely made-up fauxords (that’s “faux” and “words” combined – sounded better in my head).  So ever the consummate student, I am learning new words that, strung together, start to describe this new land I’ve entered.  

We met with the surgeon today.  I have a choice between a mastectomy (MX) and a lumpectomy.  He explained there is no real advantage to a mastectomy so I opted for the lumpectomy.  So bonus points for being able to keep the better portion of what little I have!

My hormone test results are very good:  My estrogen receptors (ER) are positive (+) and my progesterone receptors (PR) are also positive (+).  About 75% of all breast cancers are “ER positive.” They grow in response to estrogen. About 65% of these are also “PR positive.” They grow in response to progesterone.  This means that hormone therapy may be an additional treatment I use.

The third test is called HER2, or HER2neu.  It stands for Human Epidermal growth factor Receptor 2.  I don't know what it does or what it means, really - except that my original test came back "equivocal" - not negative or positive.  So, a Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH) test was conducted, and my HER2 is determined to be negative.  This, too, is a good thing.  A positive HER2 means that the cancer is typically more aggressive and faster growing.  So now my diagnosis looks like this:

IDC, Stage 1, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2 -

These results of these hormone tests are good.  I am still part of the "typical" breast cancer brigade, and it's a good place to be.

Because the cancer has invaded surrounding tissue, I will be having radiation (RADs).  The surgeon also explained the sentinal lymph node biopsy (SNB) would be a determining factor in whether I would need chemo, as would the results of the Oncotype.  The Oncotype test is done in California and takes two weeks for results to be returned.  You can learn more about it here:

http://www.oncotypedx.com/

The SNB is an interesting procedure.  They will inject the site near my tumor with a radioactive material that will travel around until it hits the first - or sentinal - lymph node.  Using a gieger-counter-like wand, they find and remove that lymph node and check it for cancer cells.  If there are cells present, then they may remove one, more, or all of the lymph nodes under my arm.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/sentinel-node-biopsy

Then, I get to rest, hopefully at home.  I'll be referred to an oncologist after Monday, and we'll start mapping out a treatment plan.

So yes, I'm feeling positive about the course of this journey, even if I'm still not certain of the language.  Monday can't come soon enough - I just kinda want to be done with this "phase" of the process, and feel like I am moving towards healing.  The waiting is truly the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment