Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Angels Among Us, Part Deux

Apparently, Angels don't pop up just at Wal-Mart; if you look around, you will find them everywhere.

I met an Angel at Michael's a couple of weeks ago, waiting in line while his wife purchased some craft items.  They both looked to be in their late 70's and reminded me so much of my own grandparents.  A funky 90's song came on over the speakers, and this gentleman started dancing - shuffling, turning slowly, swinging his hips, bopping his head.  So I started bopping my head and swinging my hips, too.  He came right over to me and there, in the middle of Michael's, we started dancing.  His wife laughed this beautiful, warm, gentle laugh, and said, "I've got to keep an eye on him sometimes," to which he replied, "Life is too short not to dance!"  We finished our dance, she completed her purchase, and they were gone.

Last week, I chatted with a fellow SW student at school; we've talked so many times and for the life of me I still can't remember her name, but we have the best conversations.  She had the most beautiful, hand-knit rainbow cap on her head, and I asked her about it.  Minutes later this cap is off her head and in my hands.  I tried to give it back, but she wouldn't take it.  She had purchased it from a small market in Texas, it can't be replaced or purchased online, every one is different and unique..."I was meant to bring it to you," she says. I was completely speechless.  I still am.

I have a friend, who shall remain nameless, who chose to shave her head in my honor.  I have known her professionally for many years, and in the last few years we have moved towards a wonderful friendship.  I'll be honest and true:  I don't know that I would be able to make the same sacrifice for someone else.  I am still afraid of being bald, but perhaps a little less so...

It's so difficult to talk about Angels without including every single person I know at this moment - because every one of you has made an impact, a difference, during this time.  My husband, my children, my parents, my sisters (and my sister and brother!), my grandbabies, who love me unconditionally, but especially when I'm at my most unloveable.  My friends, who bring gifts of breads and spreads, quiches and brownies, fruit baskets and flowers.  Friends I have yet to meet, who share fleece blankets and prayer shawls, puzzle books and hand sanitizer.  Friends who take deliveries when we're not around.  Friends who take time out of their own very, very busy lives to ask, to offer, to help, to share.  Those who have been touched by something similar in their own lives, and reach out to send love and healing energy. 

Never doubt the importance of simply being a part of someone's life.  Each of you has touched me in a way you may not know or understand.  Each of you is an Angel to me.  I am humbled and blessed, and appreciative that you are part of my life.   Thank you, so much, for being here with me.  

1 comment:

  1. Since November 22, I've become even more convinced of the truth of a quote from Rabbi Lawrence Kushner, from a book that my Nancy gave me in December 1998: "Throughout all creation, just beneath the surface, joining each person to every other person and every other thing, in one luminous organism of sacred responsibility, we discover invisible lines of connection". Thank you to all the angels among us!

    ReplyDelete