Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Overheard in the den

I talked with the Peanut this weekend about what was going on.  By the time she comes to visit again, grandma is likely to be bald(ing) so it made sense to explain a few things in child-speak.

Then again, we're talking about the newly-turned six-year-old Peanut here, so child-speak is really a waste of time.  The conversation went a little something like this:

"So, sweetie, I want to tell you why grandma's been kinda tired and sore lately."

"Okay."

"So, a while ago I went to see the doctor and the doctor told me I'm sick.  I have a boo-boo in my breast, and the doctor had to take it out with surgery..."

"You had surgery?!"

"Yes, I did - do you want to see where?  It's okay, you can touch it, it doesn't hurt."

"Okay."

"So, anyway, I have to take some medicine to make me better.  It's not any kind of medicine you would ever take - it's a special medicine I have to take in the doctor's office, and I'll have to take it for a long time."

"What kind of medicine?"

"It has a long name, but we call it by a short name:  chemo."

"What's the long name?"

"Chemotherapy."

"Kenotheramy.  I'll call it that."

"Okay.  The medicine will make me look kinda funny, and I didn't want you to worry about it when you saw me next time..."

"Why will you look funny?"

"Well, for one thing, my hair will fall out..."

"Your HAIR?!"

"Yes, and my eyebrows and my eyelashes.  So grandma will be kinda bald."

"Okay.  So you take kenotheramy and your hair falls out.  Okay.  What's on TV?"

And that was that.  She's not worried, concerned or afraid.  She has an aunt who has had severe health issues for many years, and she's used to hospitals and doctors and seeing people she loves endure surgery and treatments.  She is an empathetic little girl who will likely adore my bald head; even when I'm exhausted and nauseous, she'll always be more concerned about whether or not Sponge Bob is on TV.  And hey, we can snuggle and watch Ni Hao Ki-Lan all weekend long...

I hope to have the understanding and acceptance of life and its challenges that my little Peanut has; she inspires me to keep moving forward every day.

2 comments:

  1. I love little ones - and their simplistic view of life. My little middle child is 5...and his view of this world makes me wish, if even for a day I viewed it with his thought process. I am so glad she will love her Grammy hair or no hair!!! What a precious gift she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable little girl. And yes, it's true, children her age can be very empathetic, especially when they have seen family members got through illness or other tribulations. Oh Nancy, you and she are so lucky to have each other. That grandmother- granddaughter bond is so strong and so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete