Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hit a pothole on that downhill run...

Around 4:35 pm yesterday, the massive dose of steroids started to wear off.

How do I know this?  Because that's the time I got hit by the bus.

It started quietly - my throat hurt, like strep throat, all full and sore and hard to swallow.  A few minutes later my arms start to ache - like I had been pumping iron for hours.  Next, my legs start to burn, and finally my abs are on fire, making breathing painful.  I take my temperature, thinking maybe I've picked up the flu, but no, I'm actually subnormal.

Yes, there are SEs with Taxol, and apparently I've gotten them in spades.

Today is Ken's birthday - the 29th anniversary of his 29th birthday - and I am determined we're going to celebrate in style (I've been planning this birthday weekend for ages!)  I'm having trouble walking and I ache all over in a way I've never felt before, so Ken offers to drive me to school (of course I'm going to school - I may have cancer but I'm still an overachiever).  I've loaded up on Tylenol, which seems to help enough to get me through both classes.  We visit my parents and sister briefly, then come home, and I crawl back into bed and sleep for a couple of hours.  I wake and struggle to get out of bed.

I've been told by so many people that Taxol is much easier than AC; that it'll be like "a vacation in Aruba," that I'll feel close to normal again.  Well, I've never been to Aruba but guarantee you I'll never chose to vacation there, if this is what it's going to be like.  I had minimal SEs with AC, so I thought I'd skate through the Taxol with even fewer SEs.  No such luck.  I have to be the girl who gets it backwards.

This is what happens when you hit a pothole in the road - you get up, brush off your knees, hobble along a little bit, but keep moving forward.  It hurts a little but it's just a bump in the road.   Just a big ol' ugly, nasty, painful bump in the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment