Sunday, March 25, 2012

Still alive and kicking!

My mother called me this morning, very concerned.  She had my latest blog posting from several days ago, in which I described how toxic my relationship with Taxol had become (pun intended).  She hadn't read anything since then, and had called me a few times but I had yet to return her call.

She was, as any mother would likely be, very worried. 

When I write about my experience, it's not with the intention of being alarming or causing worry.  Writing helps me process all that's going on right now; it gets it out of my head and gives me a safe place to keep it.  Writing also makes this all so very real - something I still struggle with from time to time.  It allows me to "see" it, dissect it, explore it, and even experience it from a different perspective.  Writing is more than cathartic; it has become necessary for me to get through this. 

So I apologize if what I write is concerning or upsetting - that's never my intention.  I appreciate being able to be honest, to share, and to have you with me during this incredibly interesting journey. 

An update with a funny twist:

My Sunday was horrible, my Monday was bearable, my Tuesday was better.  Wednesday I went to work at usual, but by the end of the afternoon I could feel the utter exhaustion about to hit so I left a little early.  On the drive home I started to feel chilled (it was in the 80's that day), which worried me.  I got home and checked my temperature, which was 99.5.  Still not the magic number (100.5) at which point I need to call the doctor, but high for me (my normal temp is 97.7).  Checked it again a few more times then went to bed.

Thursday I woke feeling achy but still a little better than the previous day.  Temp was still at 99.5 but I had lunch with a friend and checked out wholly-unaffordable but mouth-watering deck furniture at Lowe's.  Still feeling achy and a little chilly I check my thermometer - 100.1.  I call my nurse and leave her a message that my temp is climbing.  I get home and check my temp again - 100.6.  I've finally surpassed that magic number!  Laurie returns my call and asks me to come in for some tests - between the pains, chills and fever, they're worried about a systemic infection.  I check my temp once more as I leave - 100.8. 

I arrive at the office to be poked and prodded.  Right off the bat they take my temperature - 98.6.  "Impossible!!" I cry.  "It was 100.8 just fifteen minutes ago!"  As I wait in an exam room for the doctor I pull out my thermometer and check my temp - 100.6.  I pull out the second thermometer I have and use it, too - 100.6.  When Laurie stops in to tell me my blood work looks great, I show her the thermometers.  She looks at them, then looks at me, then asks, "How much did you pay for these?" 

"Like, $3 I think."

"Throw them away," she says.  "Now's not the time to scrimp; go buy yourself an expensive thermometer."

My blood work revealed that my white blood cell count is much higher than normal (for me, that is); my bone marrow is expanding as my WBCs are growing, which is causing some of the bone pain and flu-like symptoms now.  It also explains a fever (if I really have one) - but it's not a problem.  Just another one of those "happy accidents" that comes along with Taxol.

The weekend has been wonderful - minimal pain but still some fatigue.  Ken and I finally celebrated his birthday yesterday at the DIA - he received his very own one-year membership so he can visit any time he likes, gets a free ticket to any special exhibits, and a mad discount at the cafe and gift shop!  I lasted about two hours before needing to leave - just got too tired.  Today I spent an hour or so in the garden, drinking in the sunshine and feeling alive and human again.  Peanut and I made cupcakes for Grandpa's birthday celebration, and we had a chance to meet S's new boyfriend.  Ken made lobster mac-and-cheese for dinner, and now we're (im)patiently awaiting the Season 5 premier of "Mad Men." 

I waited for that magic Day 9 to arrive, to start feeling normal again.  I am learning (as I do every time I have a treatment) that I can hope, but never predict, which days will be good and which days will be less-than-good.  The cumulative effects are becoming evident and I am coming to terms with that.  I'm getting used to being tired, to being able to do less than I used to, but I realize that's temporary and won't last forever.  I can get through this - I will get through this - because I have the courage to do so.  And I have the courage to do so because I have the support of so many wonderful and loving people.  

5 comments:

  1. you bet your sweet bibbie girl--we all love ya and just call and you know I'm there--for lunch, conversation, whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics of you and Peanut are really sweet. So nice she has that special close relationship with you. I'm glad you are having good weekend. As far as your Mom, of course she's going to worry. You're her little girl and always will be. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a mom, always a mom. I can only imagine how I would feel if one of my children were going through this.

      Delete
  3. My friend Beth often references The Spoon Theory (for her, in relation to depression, generally). I keep thinking it apropos to link you to, and I finally got the chance to track down the article: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Lindsay! I had never heard of the Spoon theory, but it explains everything so eloquently, in a way I've been trying to figure out for the longest time. Thank you, thank you. I'm going to keep that one in my pocket!

      Delete