Thursday, April 12, 2012

Yes, we're all going to die, but...

One of the most interesting comments I have heard from people since my diagnosis has been, "Well, we're all going to die someday."  Even my original oncologist said, during our first appointment, "There are no guarantees in life; we all die." 

This is a reality that most of us choose not to think about, deal with, or examine closely until we are forced to.  And even then, we still avoid-avoid-avoid as much as possible, because really, who amongst us wants to die?  Who looks forward to leaving behind their loved ones and their lives, even if what we believe it means peace and happiness on the other side?

I have a friend who calls herself ChemoBabe (and she really is).  This morning, she posted something that I thought was fairly profound, and I want to share it here:

"My friends with metastatic disease are on my mind today.  Let's get one thing clear. 'You never know how you're going to die. You could get run over by a truck' is not helpful.  Having mets is like standing on a sidewalk and watching the truck come at you in slow-mo. You have a lot of time to contemplate all kinds of details about how it will hit and how it will feel on impact. This is not the same thing at all."

I cannot understand fully this comment, because I do not have metastatic cancer.  Let me repeat that - I DO NOT have metastatic cancer, so don't get the wrong impression.  But her comment struck me anyway because so many people have said some derivation of, "You're going to die anyway" or "You could get hit by a bus tomorrow" since my diagnosis.

This is true.  I could get hit by a bus.  In fact, funny story - I once narrowly missed being creamed by a bus on a business trip to Denver.  Walking along the edge of the sidewalk I stumbled off, just as the city bus was pulling up to the curb to stop.  I remember the words vividly and loudly in my head, but I don't know where they came from:  "Don't move.  Do not move."  And so I didn't.  But I lost some hair as the bus's mirror gently grazed my head.  Ask Steve - he was standing right next to me and thought I was a goner.

But (as usual) I digress.  Except that I understand there are no guarantees in life - if there were, I wouldn't be sitting in an infusion chair right now, getting started on my seventh of 10 chemo treatments.  No - I'd be in perfect health and mowing my lawn and planning my summer and writing my research paper. 

And I understand that everyone is going to die someday - but now is not my day.  I come from a long line of long-lived family members:  my great-grandfather was 99-1/2.  His daughter, my grandmother, was 81, if I remember correctly, but had smoked heavily for most of her life - never got lung cancer but finally did get emphysema in her late 70s.  My parents are 77 and almost 79, and even with associated health problems they are still going strong.  So why, at 48, should I be dealing with this shit?

There might be truth in saying "There are no guarantees."  But for someone dealing with cancer, there are many unknowns to be contemplated.  Even with chemo and radiation I have a high metastatic recurrence rate.  Do I want it to come back?  Hell no!!  Do I think it'll come back?  Maybe.  I can't say No as much as I'd like.   I have to accept that possibility.  And so while I'm not watching the bus coming along in slo-mo, I have to prepare for the fact that next time, there won't be a voice in my head saying, "Don't move."  If it comes back, I'll deal with it then.  

So I ask this of all of you, please:  Try and remember, next time to talk with me, or someone else, or even to yourself - yes, we're all going to die someday.  But it doesn't make me (or anyone else) feel any better to equate the transit system with the uncertainty of our future.  Because sometimes, you can not move and just lose a few hairs; other times you stumble and fall, all your hair comes out, and you die.  

I'd still like to believe that bus has passed me by.

6 comments:

  1. For all the people who say it: even that's not a joking matter. My uncle really did get hit by a bus in San Francisco. Lots and lots of surgeries followed that one. It was barreling up a hill and was half in his lane while it was taking a curve and he was driving a scooter. Yeah...my family has has some bad luck, but they get through it, just like you're getting through this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your uncle, Lindsay, but so glad that he's still around. Our lives are full of potholes in the road - goodness knows I've had several along the way - but we keep moving forward. I can even find gratitude in this whole experience: it reminds me of what's really important, and helps me let go of what's not. I'd rather live an interesting life, than skate through without a scratch or bump.

      Delete
  2. I was hit by a car whilst walking...got lucky, no serious injuries.
    However...leukemia at 19, basal cell skin at 23, cervical at 32...now weird {pre-cancerous} crap in my boob.
    That being said, that's not my most pressing health concern. I have Behcet's Disease (never heard of it? Neither have most of my doctors. It is a rare auto-immune disorder that only affects 1 in every 300,000 Americans) and there is no cure. Most likely I will die blind and of meningitis.
    I understand taking offense to "everybody dies sometime". However, it is my mantra. It is pretty much the only way I feel connected to undiseased people. I know I am going to die. But so will every single "healthy" person. Armed with this knowledge...I am ready to take advantage of every day. Seize every opportunity.
    So, I'm pretty ill. I'm going to die. Will I die from a disease? Maybe. Will I get hit by another, larger, more quickly moving vehicle? Maybe. Will I go peacefully in my sleep? Hopefully...someday.
    I know everybody is different. We each have our own way of seeing things and dealing with things. This is how I am choosing to deal with MY "things".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - I too can find that connection in the thought that "we're all going to die" - in that way, I am no different necessarily than anyone around me. However, hearing that from someone else who is not battling cancer or a chronic, fatal illness sounds as though they've given up on me, that we're suddenly somehow different from each other because of my cancer. As I said, we don't think about or actively plan for our deaths when we're healthy; that happens when we find ourselves suddenly faced with our mortality. That *might* happen when someone around us becomes ill (as has happened for me three times in the months before my diagnosis); for me it became about not being like "them" because I was too young/healthy/whatever to die. And I'm not going to die - yet - because my disease has not taken me there. But it might, it could, and I can't deny that fact. It just hurts, at times, when a very healthy person says to me, "Well, we all have to die." It's like signing my death sentence when I'm not ready for it. Yes, that's my own stuff to deal with, I understand. It just surprises me *how many* people feel the need to point that out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one Nancy. I just showed my hubby and he just said..."yes we're all gonna die...but YOU don't have a gun in your face!!" HA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorrie, your husband is priceless!! Please thank him for me. I love his analogy!

      Delete