Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Every-thing's com-ing up Rose-y...

Today was 21/30 - or 70% of radiation completed.  *insert super-happy face here.*  Two more whole breast treatments, then (starting next Monday) seven "boosts" aimed directly at the cancer site. 

Lucy is pinking up a little bit around the edges; today I was able to see a faint "square" around my breast of pink/tan tissue due to the radiation.  Apparently my skin and tissue will continue to "cook" for another two weeks post-final radiation because - well, because that's what happens when you pop a boob into a microwave for five weeks, I guess.  My skin is tender overall, and (cover your eyes if you're not feeling up to TMI right now) my nipple is turning darker and changing shape (at least I didn't include a picture of it...maybe later...)  I've given up wearing bras, much to Ken's delight, because frankly any fabric against my breast just really hurts right now.  While it's hard to explain, the skin is changing, and I seriously worry about accidentally scratching it off.  Of course my doctor is pleased as punch at how wonderful Lucy is holding up under this continued microwaving, and I am trying to remain optimistic that all will continue on a good path.

The fatigue is getting harder, but it's still good - so much better than chemo-related fatigue.  Mostly, I just don't give a shit about anything.  No, I'm not depressed - there's a general lack of energy, I guess.  Bathroom needs to be cleaned?  Oh, too tired, don't care, whatever.  Water the flowers out back?  I'd rather pray for rain.  Go for a run?  Hell yeah --- after my nap.  So yes, I'm back to napping again (that started this week) and going to bed early.  Can't sleep in late because, well, gotta hop in the microwave at 8:00 every a.m.  Of course my doctor is pleased as punch at how wonderful I'm holding up after five weeks.  Let's be honest, she's just a little too pleased in general, always so danged happy.

But I like my doctors that way - happy and pleased.  And continuing to give me good news. 

Every day is still a good day, even when I don't give a shit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment