Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lucy! You got some 'splainin' to do!

While building an Ikea bookcase last weekend I remembered the old phrase, "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey."  And, thus, Lucy (aka My Left Breast) was born.  She joins old friends Mildred, You Bitch and Portia in my cancer journey.

Tomorrow will be 18 of 30 radiation treatments (or 3/5, or 60%!)  I will have five treatments next week, and then 7 "boosts" - radiation targeted specifically at the surgery site.  My last radiation treatment is scheduled for July 24th.

Surprisingly, my skin still looks normal.  I know that will likely change, but even my doctor is pleasantly surprised (goodness knows I am, too).  I have friends who are really struggling with skin issues, some from the very beginning, and again I realize how blessed I have been on this part of the journey.  My left arm is a little "tired," heavy and sore, and we'll be checking for lymphedema next week.  Aaaaannnnddd.....the fatigue is back.  Not nearly as bad as with chemo, but it's there and kinda getting in the way a little.

In many ways, I think this must be the "vacation in Aruba" that everyone alluded to months ago.  Whatever it is, it's a hell of a lot easier than chemo, and a truly pleasant experience in comparison.

I picked up some sunscreen so I could ride in my sister's convertible.  I want to feel the wind in my HAIR!
I has hair!
I has LOTS of hairs!
Yes, I have hair - and I can even feel it "blowin' in the wind" as I work outside in the garden.  My grand-daughter says it's "as soft as a blanket; I want to lay on it."  My head is like a Buddha belly - everyone wants to rub it (hopefully it brings someone good luck!)  It's amazing - I never thought I could be so excited about my hair coming back.  And not just my hair, but my eyebrows are coming in, too.  They're very short, but if I am seeing correctly I'm going to be waxing a unibrow very, very soon.

Oh, Lucy...you just keep on keepin' on, don'tcha girl?






4 comments:

  1. When it all grows in, you should experiment with a Stephanie-type color option! So happy for you, Honey! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so very soft and (as always) she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete